Saturday, April 7, 2007

The end is nigh


I knew that something wasn't right with my leg. After waking up on Thursday with my lower left leg in substantial pain, I went to talk to my team's athletic trainer, T. She did some poking around and squeezing and gave her assessment that I most likely have a stress fracture. T is really good and really knows what she is doing, so I have no doubt that she is correct. I have an appointment next week with my primary care physician who will hopefully order an MRI to confirm (most stress fractures don't show up in x-rays).

The fracture is on the inside of my left tibia, about four or five inches below my knee. It doesn't hurt all the time, although it does seem to hurt when I get up in the morning, and it is pretty sore by the end of the day as well.

I'm not real sure what this means for the race yet. Everyone I've talked to has said that I need to get into a pool and start water running, but I don't know that I have enough pool access to make that work. It didn't seem to be bothering me biking to work this morning, so the bike may be OK. I am going to head to the gym shortly here to try out an elliptical to see if that bothers it at all; I figure that is as close as you can come to running without any impact. If I can keep up my aerobic base I will hopefully be able to still do the race. I would hate to have done all this training and not be able to run the event!

No comments: