Wednesday, April 18, 2007

PT - It's on!

So on Monday of this week I got in to see a physical therapist with the local sports medicine department. Katy spent some time watching me walk, doing range-of-motion tests and strength tests, and then video taped me on the treadmill. Her conclusion from working with me was that there is nothing wrong with my gait or any physical issues, and that my injury was likely just from over use. Cyclists don't have the greatest bone strength as cycling isn't totally weight bearing, so shifting to a heavy running load just over stressed my left tibia.

The good news is that Katy thinks I will have no problem running the race. She wants me to continue with non-impact aerobic work (I have been out on my fixed-gear bike a lot) and to begin doing some specialized stretches and strengthening routines. This weekend I will begin running a little (very little at first) and will slowly ramp back up. One good thing about my training is that I have already done a couple of decently long runs (18 and 20 miles), so the is confident that I will be able to do the full race. I will get in to see Katy three more times before the race to assess how things are progressing and to make any needed changes in the plan. In the mean time I certainly don't mind being back on the bike a lot!

No comments: