Saturday, March 17, 2007

The Shamrock Shuffle

Today was the first 10k I've ever raced: The Shamrock Shuffle in Madison. It was a beautiful morning for it, if a little chilly at 25* at race time. I didn't have a decent run yesterday (8 miles), so I was a bit nervous about the race today, but it went pretty well. I finished in 39:41 according to my watch, which is around a 6:24 average per mile. Not bad for my first running race in over a decade! A few online pace calculators predict around a 3:06 marathon based on that which I would be pretty happy with.

The race itself felt pretty decent. It was a bit hillier course than most of my runs, so that was a bit of a shock to the system. I need to work on my pacing a little bit more - my miles varied from 6:02 (mile 2) to 6:26 (mile 4). My time would have put me in the top fifteen or so last year, but they had a much larger crowd this year so I think I was around 27 with one woman (a good looking one no less) about 50 feet ahead of me for the entire race. They started a 5k on the same course about 10 minutes after us which turned out to be a bit of a bad idea as the 10k runners then had to weave through the slower 5k runners for the last mile into the finish. Not much else to complain about though. I'm definitely pretty happy with the race and feel better about my training for Sunburst!

1 comment:

Marc Mandel said...

Nice job! Now, would you have been faster or slower if the woman had not been in front of you?