Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Things are getting better... kind of

Every time I have a long run in the training plan it is a new record for the farthest I have ever run. This week it was 18 miles, and it was clear to me why I hadn't run this far before: it is not fun! Getting through the run was probably the hardest thing I've ever done physically, although it wasn't all bad. Unlike my two previous long runs, there was no intense pain anywhere, just a dull ache through the knees, hips, and hip flexors, which is to be expected I suppose. And unlike my previous long runs, the streets and sidewalks were mostly free of snow and ice, so my time was significantly better than the time before. Running in the warmer weather was also really nice, although it made me want to be on my bike instead of running.

My opinion of my FuelBelt changed with this last run, and I now strongly dislike it. As with nearly all of my clothing, I fall right between sizes small and medium; I have a medium FuelBelt which fit really well with the slightly bulker winter clothes, but moves around way too much with the thinner clothes now. I'm thinking I may have to get a small and sell the medium unit, because it was annoying as all get out to have the belt constantly bouncing and moving around for 18 miles.

Overall the training is going ok, although I feel like it could be a bit better. I'm holding off on any real goal setting until a month or so before the race so that I have a better sense of how my training is progressing and ensuring that I am still injury free. I have a few goals in mind though....

2 comments:

monkey's uncle e said...

How'd those 800s go?

Kevin said...

Shittily. I warmed up for a mile and a half, then got into them. Got through the first three (6:18 / 6:14 / 6:10 pace), but they didn't feel good and the temperature had dropped to around 35 with rain, so I called it there.

Too bad because speed work is what I really need. You should join me for the Shamrock Shuffle on Saturday.