Sunday, February 25, 2007

The "Blizzard" of '07



Well, I managed to survive the "blizzard" that hit Wisconsin over the past 24 hours. After dire warning to say inside and that you "risk death" by venturing out, it didn't turn out to be that big a deal. We got about 10" of snow on Friday night and another 8 or so last night. A decent amount of snow, but come on, this is Wisconsin! People should expect storms like this all the time. They didn't even issue warning that dire when the temps were -15 a couple of weeks ago - conditions that could actually be a threat to life. There was some cool thunder and lightening with the snow last night, but that was really the only thing remarkable about this storm.

Today it has been snowing and raining off and on all day, so the snow has all packed down to about a foot of thick slush. What a mess. Even the sidewalks and streets that have been "cleared" are coated with an inch or two of slick slush. The short run was one of the slowest I've done recently, mainly because I was just trying to stay upright! I'm thinking that tomorrow's long run will be for time (two hours) rather than distance (16 miles) as my speed will be so low. I'm also a bit concerned that if my feet get as wet tomorrow as they did today I will be in for some serious blisters....

Unfortunately I didn't think to take my camera with me today, but I'll try to get some better pictures of the snow and various snow art tomorrow.

No comments: