Friday, February 23, 2007

Damnation.


Earlier this week we got hit with some remarkably warm weather for Wisconsin in February: temps ran up into the 40s for a few days straight. It was fantastic. It was also just a tease apparently, as the rain we were supposed to get this weekend is now predicted to be up to a foot of snow. It is coming down decently right now, but apparently Saturday night is when it will really pile up. I know that it is still February, and I'm not asking for balmy temps, but come on, is no more snow too much to ask? Apparently so. Tomorrow's seven mile run will be fun with winds at 30 - 35mph. And Monday's sixteen miler promises to be another miserable slog since roads and sidewalks likely won't be cleared well by then.

Which brings me to another point: despite being in an area of the country that gets a goodly amount of snow every year, Madison still hasn't figured out how to plow streets. I have spent most of my life living in the Midwest, and I have never seen such half-assed plow jobs as they do here - it is almost like they drive the plows around with the blades two inches off the road for fear of scraping up the horribly pot-holed road surface! And don't get me started on the snow driving....

I really don't know why I live here and will be looking to get out when school wraps up. In 27 very, very long months. Damnation.

2 comments:

monkey's uncle e said...

Snow driving is just about the only good thing about this place in the winter! It would be nearly impossible if those buffoons with the plows did a decent job. I can't believe you are thinking about running in that crap. Remember: you used to live in San Diego, and you chose to come here.

Kevin said...

That I did, that I did, and I recognize my mistake. For someone who claims that simply living in Wisconsin is ruining their health and incessantly babbles about the greatness of Seattle, I don't know that you are one to throw stones!