Wednesday, February 14, 2007

The BodPod!


Today I headed over to see a trainer at a Sports Medicine facility that I have access through for work to get BodPodded. What is a BodPod? It is this futuristic egg-shaped pod that you get into and it finds out things about your body composition. Based on air displacement and some other parameters, it can accurately measure body fat to within one or two percent and provide you with information about metabolic rate and other body measurements.

To use the machine, some basic data is entered into a computer, you strip down to minimal clothing (spandex shorts), get weighed on a very accurate scale, climb into the egg, sit there for about a minute while the egg makes weird noises, open the egg, then re-close the egg and repeat. There is an option to breathe through a special hose that helps measure lung capacity and O2 in, CO2 out for metabolic rates. However, you have to breathe very specifically with the air hose, and there is new thought that if not done exactly right it may skew the results more than what the machine can predict on its own. Wanting to keep things simple, I went without the air hose today.

So how did it go?
  • Weight: 132.29
  • Body fat: 5.2% (6.88 pounds)
  • Free mass: 94.8% (125.413 pounds)
  • Thoracic Gas Volume: 3.862 L
  • Resting Metabolic Rate: 1480 kcal/day
Everything was close to what I thought it would be: my weight was slightly high coming only an hour or two after lunch and body fat was slightly lower than the 6 - 7 percent that I would have predicted. What did surprise me was how low my RMR is - that is definitely something to pay attention to on off days when all I do is sit on the couch and read for school!

Not bad overall and I'll get tested again right around the race to see if things have shifted at all.
Now I need to see about getting in to a lab and getting my VO2-max tested....

3 comments:

monkey's uncle e said...

5.2%?! You need to eat some fats. More peanut butter and bread soaked in olive oil. Or make the cows happy and eat some cheese and butter.
-E

Arcade said...

this mechanism calls to mind woody allen's Orgasmitron from Sleeper... although, i have a feeling his machine would be a lot more fun.

Kevin said...

You know, that movie popped into my head as well while I was having this done. I've never been in an Orgasmatron unfortunately, but just about anything would be more fun and exciting than the BodPod is.